Everybody knows that it's stupid to get your significant other's name tattooed on your body. However, that hasn't stopped celebrities -- who are notorious for their short-lived relationships -- from permanently etching a soon-to-be ex's name into their skin. Here are seven guilty culprits:
- Johnny Depp. The actor honored his girlfriend and Edward Scissorhands costar Winona Ryder by having "Winona Forever" tattooed on his right shoulder. After they broke up, Depp had the last two letters of Ryder's first name removed, creating the motto "Wino Forever."
- Angelina Jolie. Back when she was married to Billy Bob Thornton, the actress tattooed "Billy Bob" across her left arm. She has since had the ink removed and replaced it with the coordinates of her globe-spanning family's birthplaces.
- Melanie Griffith. The Working Girl star started rocking a tattoo of husband Antonio Banderas' name tattooed inside a heart in the '90s. After the couple announced their split, Griffith has been spotted sporting a heart -- but the word "Antonio" has been messily removed.
- Eva Longoria. She celebrated her marriage to basketball player Tony Parker with three tattoos marking the occasion. The first, a giant "NINE" on the back of her neck, was a reference to Parker's jersey number; the second, a small "07-07-07" on her wrist, was the day the couple were wed; the third, Parker's initials, is hidden somewhere on her body. After the couple divorced , she got them all removed.
- Heidi Klum. The supermodel had ex-husband Seal's name removed from her arm. However, it's still faintly visible.
- Marc Anthony. Following his divorce from Jennifer Lopez, the singer got an elaborate tattoo to cover up the name "Jennifer" on his wrist.
- Denise Richards. The actress and Charlie Sheen pledged their devotion in 2002 by tattooing each other's names on their bodies. Following their divorce, Richards had the "Charlie" on her ankle turned into a colorful fairy.
- Kat Von D. In honor of Jesse James, the celebrity tattoo artist Kat Von D got a portrait of him as a young boy tattooed on her ribcage. She ended up remaining the enormous -- and incredibly creepy -- homage of her ex.
Angelina Jolie, Melanie Griffith and More Stars Who Have Removed Tattoos : People.com
Questions we ponder, and hope you'll answer in the comments section below...
- Situations in which it is acceptable to tattoo someone's name on your body
- Other stupid tattoos that people can't seem to stop themselves from getting
- Celebrity couple you'd like to see get back together